Thursday, January 5, 2012

Take the Leap

"We would love to adopt, but then my kids would have to share a bedroom"........

These children would LOVE to have A bedroom (photo courtesy of abc news)

"Adoption is so expensive, we just can't afford it"

But we can drive a $40,000 car



"I don't know that I would love an adopted child as much as my biological child"

How could you NOT?

"I'm just over that stage of my life now, I know that sounds selfish"

Older children need homes too

" I would be nervous about a bi-racial family"

I can't imagine it any other way.....


I understand adoption "might" not be for everyone.  And by all means if it really is "NOT" for you-don't do it.  But I believe that true christians CAN do it.  If they put a little bit of their selfishness aside, and take that leap of faith-you can do it.  It's hard not to get frustrated when I hear all of these above things.  As American's  what we have in life, we "expect" we should have it.  For all of you that read what I write, you think about it for a minute, for a day maybe-you ponder it, it might really "touch" you-but then what? The next day, you probably forget, carry about your day and live the typical "american dream".  Or some of you really probably say "Yes, Meggan we get it-adoption is a beautiful thing-but can we talk about something else"-I don't really know, but what I do know is that it's life changing.  So much so that when I hear all the above statements, I can't help but get a pit in my stomach, and feel sorry that someone "doesn't get it".  There are 147 million (and counting) orphans in this world.  A child that is longing to call someone "mommy", someone to have their daddy hug them everysingle day, tuck them in a night and know they are loved unconditionally and they feel safe, at their FOREVER home, with their FOREVER family.....pray about it, take the leap of faith-you won't be sorry.........

"I will not leave you as orphans, I will come to you" John 14:18

5 comments:

  1. WOW Meggers! It has been a while since a blog has brought me to tears...when you said, A child that is longing to call someone "mommy", someone to have their daddy hug them everysingle day, tuck them in a night and know they are loved unconditionally and they feel safe, at their FOREVER home, with their FOREVER family....." It almost knocked the wind out of me...It is so true with us right now all three of our kiddos can call us mommy and dada right now and I stop and think...if we had not taken the step out in faith...they would not have a momma or a dada...and that rocks me to the core...Thank you for this post! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful...we have taken the leap but havent quite "landed" yet...praying we can travel to get our two Ethiopian kiddos very soon. : )
    Kathleen
    Www.shawnkathleenmillerfamily.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it easy? No! Is it worth it? Absolutely!! We adopted 2 children from Ukraine in 2008 - they were 14 and 17 years old. Now, instead of living on the streets doing God-knows-what for money to buy food, they have warm beds, abundant food, a loving family and most importantly a relationship with our loving God. They are going to be world changers! God has used us to truly "change their stars!"....what if we had said no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We brought a baby home from China when she was a year, and her siblings came home from Haiti 6 months later at 8.5 and nearly 10. We hear these comments all the time - "we can't afford it" - to which I say, who CAN? Best thing we ever did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for being an advocate for the older child. We just adopted a 14-year-old from Ethiopia and she is an absolute gift to our family!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete